The government has backed down on its plans to postpone elections in Suffolk, but political leaders say the "flip-flopping" could be just as damaging.
The May elections at Suffolk County Council and Ipswich Borough Council were delayed to allow the authorities to deliver local government reorganisation.
However, on Monday, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government confirmed that, following legal advice, the Government withdrew its original decision and all local elections will now go ahead in May 2026.”
The decision will see £63 million made available to local authorities undergoing reorganisation, with less than three months until the elections.
Andrew Stringer, leader of the opposition at Suffolk County Council, said: "We welcome the outbreak of common sense.
"Suffolk Green Party argued that the election should have gone ahead last year.
"This decision was beyond the pale. It is odd the way this government seems to treat local democracy.
"We would normally be campaigning six months before an election, not two months before.
"However, democracy is a fundamental process."
He also noted that the elections going ahead would help the authority to "build the council" required for local government reorganisation.
South Suffolk MP James Cartlidge, added: "Yet another U-turn from Labour, with local elections now going ahead in May.
"I called for them to go ahead - that was obviously the democratic thing to do.
"But this level of chaos and flip-flopping is no good to anyone.
"What a total shambles.
Leader of Suffolk County Council, Matthew Hicks, said the decision rested entirely with the Government, and he had not been privy to the legal advice referenced by the Government.
He argues that local councils are “experiencing whiplash” from UK Government decisions which make it “almost impossible” to plan effectively for residents, a council leader has said.
He said: "Throughout this process, ministers and civil servants have consistently expressed confidence in their position. That makes the current situation all the more surprising.
“There is now a significant question mark over the government’s wider agenda for devolution and local government reorganisation.
"Certainly, as we previously set out in our letter to ministers, this makes delivering one new unitary council for Suffolk more difficult, and three nigh on impossible.
“Our priority in Suffolk remains to deliver reliable services, protect residents, and ensure our communities are not disadvantaged by national uncertainty.”
Meanwhile, as the news broke of the election, Chris Chambers, cabinet member for Transport Strategy, Planning and Waste at Suffolk County Council, told this newspaper he was "surprised" and "not aware" of the change in position.
He said: "It comes as a complete shock to me.
"We are still awaiting the details.
"As usual with this government, they tell the media first and then we find out."
Previously, the news of a possible delay to the elections saw nearly 100 protestors gather outside Suffolk County Council's Endeavour House in January.
Among the protesters were both Green Party and Reform UK campaigners.
Christopher Hudson, leader of Reform UK at Suffolk County Council, added: "I'm delighted that the elections are going ahead.
"It's fantastic as democracy was being strangled by the Government and now, after advice from a sensible lawyer, they have changed tack.
"It's absolutely vital that the people are given a vote.
"Whoever wins, these elections, I'm just happy that we have democracy.
"I'm looking forward to it with relish, win, lose or draw; it's in the hands of the people."
Steve Reed, Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, says the Government could offer “practical support” amid the U-turn.
In a letter to council leaders, he said: “I recognise that many of the local councils undergoing reorganisation voiced genuine concerns about the pressure they are under as we seek to deliver the most ambitious reforms of local government in a generation.”
Published by East Anglian Daily Times.